Industry Experts Available to Members
Free phone consulting is available to ERA members for legal, tax, professional field sales, insurance and public relations advice from ERA’s team of rep-savvy consultants.
Accounting & Taxes
Gerald M. Newman
Carla Mahrt has held various senior management positions at Tyco Electronics (TE Connectivity), Raychem Corporation and Vishay Intertechnology, including extensive work in sales and channel management.
She has been and is still very active in the electronics industry having served as the president of EDS (Electronic Distributor Summit), a NEDA (now ECIA) board member and ERA program speaker. Carla has also been honored with NEDA’s Distinguished Service Award and is a frequent guest lecturer and speaker for the ASU Polytechnic Campus and ECIA Project Host students.
JJM Search is a global executive search firm founded by Carla in 2011. JJM is part of the MRI Network – leaders in the search and recruitment industry for over 40 years. Carla has demonstrated utilization of her vast network of electronics industry contacts to place professionals in all of these categories:
- Technical Sales
- C-Level Executives
- Global Product Management
- Supplier Management
- Sales Management
- Engineering Professionals
- Channel Management
Many recruiters claim they are electronics industry experts, but JJM Search offers the expertise of someone who is a proven and accomplished leader with 20 years of experience working for global electronics manufacturers … someone who understands the channel and knows the nuances of the business, allowing her to connect your company with bright, qualified candidates.
JJM Search offers confidential contingency or retained searches – mid to executive level positions at manufacturers, distributors and rep firms.
Insurance & Employee Benefits
Sales, Marketing & Business Strategy
Over the course of his 20-plus-years career, Alex Gabbi has planned, funded and successfully launched five startups in the consulting, enterprise software, hardware and consumer product spaces. He also has led a major corporate transformation project at a Fortune 150 company. In all his companies, Alex was known for recruiting and leading sales and marketing organizations that were recognized for best-in-class performance spanning multiple years. He has provided marketing consulting services to a wide variety of industries, including electronics, consumer products and medical technology.
In addition to his extensive business experience, Alex also has more than 10 years of instructional experience in entrepreneurship, business operations, strategy and marketing at the McCombs School of Business at The University of Texas at Austin, a top 10 business program in the U.S.
He is also a published author (The Journey, November 2014), avid world traveler and proud father of three. Alex lives in Austin, Texas, and has a B.B.A. in International Business/Finance and MBA in Information Management/Technology Strategy, all from the University of Texas at Austin.
Personnel development and training in a wide variety of areas including territory management, business model disruption, diversity management, general business management, and innovation.
Can address executives or leadership teams on a wide variety of current topics such as:
Business Model Disruption: The Future of Value Creation
- Millennials: Next Generation Management Techniques for the Next Generation
- It’s Not Business, It’s Personal: Marketing in the 21st Century
- Leadership and Intense Change: Business Lessons from a Cancer Diagnosis
- The Innovation Premium: Competitive Game-Changer for the 21st Century
Consulting and executive coaching in the areas of sales and marketing, organizational structure and business strategy.
Cesare Giammarco has been in the field of sales and sales management since 1971, with 35 of those years in the electronic component industry. In those 35 years, he has instituted, managed and integrated manufacturers’ reps globally into multiple organizations.
Starting with Elmwood Sensors in 1984, a privately owned global manufacturer of temperature sensing products, he led successful integration of the rep sales model through four acquisitions of this business, culminating with Honeywell Sensing and Controls in 2002. He retired from Honeywell in May 2015 and is now a special consultant to ERA on best practices to further facilitate the rep sales model.
Over the course of his career, Cesare has been recognized for innovative and mutually beneficial sales rep management practices and procedures that reinforce the rep model with manufacturers.
He holds a B.A. in Economics and an MBA from Bryant University. He resides in Cranston, R.I.
For Manufacturers: Goal: Optimize the manufacturers’ rep selling model for long-term growth
- Rep selection and deployment
- Establish a balanced Rep performance measurement process based on sales objectives and behaviors to predict future success
- Rep reward and recognition programs
- Launching and or managing the Manufacturers sales opportunity management system with your Rep network
- Establishing and managing a hybrid Vertical market sales organization
- Integrating the Rep selling model into a merged or acquired organization maximize growth/minimize conflict
- Optimizing the Rep/Distributor collaborative sales effort
For Reps: Goal: Reinforce and communicate the mutual value between rep and manufacturer
- Approaches and strategies to communicate the rep value proposition to current or potential manufacturers
- My manufacturer is considering a direct sales model. What is the best way to effectively and positively approach the situation?
- My manufacturer is struggling with working with the rep sales model from a process and procedure perspective. What can we do to help improve this?
- I am aware of a manufacturer that has a direct model that could benefit from reps. What is the best way to approach this opportunity?
- My manufacturer has a “hybrid” selling team, and it inherently breeds conflict and confusion in the field. How can we help improve this?
- My manufacturer is going through a merger or acquisition. How do I best assess risk to my position and reinforce my role in the newly combined business?
For Distributors: Goal: Sales collaboration with reps to achieve supplier objectives
- New business opportunities growth strategies
- Direct to distribution account transition support
- Distribution back to direct requests, Rep involvement to minimize reverse transition “Long tail” customer account development initiatives
- Aligning supplier, rep and distributor goals
Phone: 508-720-3473 (office); 508-736-3419 (cell)
Fred Myers has held executive level sales and marketing positions in the electronics industry for 40 years. Starting out as a territory salesman for Corning Electronics Division in Texas, then moving forward into semiconductors and international sales management, he spent 25 years at Unitrode Corporation where he lead International and domestic sales management as VP Sales. Following the acquisition of Unitrode, Fred joined Future Electronics as VP Concord Division. He was then recruited by Telcom Semiconductor to lead European sales, until Telcom was acquired by MicroChip. Fred was then recruited by AMI Semiconductor until retiring.
Today Fred is an active Arbitrator for FINRA and heads up Myers Associates Consulting. He remains active in both and has been successful in matching representative firms with manufacturers in North America. Fred has been actively engaged with manufacturer representatives for his entire career, including funding startup reps in the Nordic countries and UK. Fred recently started consulting for the ERA based on his semiconductor, representative and manufacturer background.
He says, “It has been an exciting and rewarding introduction to the ERA and helping Walter Tobin energize and grow the ERA.”
Myers Associates is available to assist both representatives and manufacturers in the dynamic environment everyone now faces.
- International sales planning, strategy and tactics
- Identification, pre-qualification and market potential assessment for new or potential replacement of manufacturers’ representatives
- Representative evaluation process – Key Account and Distribution (KAD)
- Maximizing regional manager engagement with rep network * Total company engagement with reps and customers, strategy and tactics
- Strategy and tactics to promote rep company value to principals
- Interview techniques and content for prospective new manufacturers
- Maximizing distribution engagement to grow and expand sales
- Preparation guidance for a Key Account and Distribution (KAD) review
- Participate and engage in rep company meetings to provide objective input and fresh ideas to help improve performance and drive sales
- Strategy and tactics to maximize and match rep objectives to those of the principals and fully engage all resources that are available
- Objective review of rep websites from the view of manufacturer and customer
Bryan C. Shirley, CPMR
Office: 267-620-6000 • Cell: 267-463-7898 • Skype: bryanshirley12
A former Rep and former CEO of MANA, Bryan has consulted to hundreds of Reps, Manufacturers and Distributors on various aspects of sales, marketing and business planning. He continues to provide new and fascinating methods for the ultimate goal— to boost sales!
Bryan is a graduate of Virginia Tech, a visiting professor at the University of Texas-Austin teaching Motivational Compensation for Outside Sales at CPMR (the Certified Professional Manufacturers’ Representatives program), and has presented to thousands of salespeople at association conferences and sales meetings. He is published in various industries’ sales and trade journals and magazines. In addition to serving on many Board of Directors and Executive Committees, including the National ERA Ex-Com, he is the former President/CEO of MANA, the former Executive Director of AIM/R and was the President/CEO of COLRUD Corporation, a premier manufacturers’ representative organization in the Philadelphia area.
Services for Manufacturers’ Representatives:
- Buy, Sell, or Merge a Rep Firm: Value, Structure of the Deal, Making It Work
Bryan has been engaged in over 200 Buy-Sell transactions with Rep companies
- Sales Team analysis: review your Team, compensation plans, motivational team building
- Line Portfolio Management: analyze your line card and interview to win
- Strategic Planning: operations, review of systems and software (and your tech tools)
- Sales Tools and Marketing: Branding your Rep firm, Sales Tools, Social Media success
- Legal and contracts: creating great agreements, commission/termination issues
Services for Manufacturers:
- Strategic Planning: fun methodology with a focus on winning with Reps
- Sales Boost Assessment: an internal and external evaluation of the entire sales stream
This several day process involves a dive into sales culture, sales process, sales structure
- Compensation plans: internal and for Reps and also incentives to grow sales
- Rep Councils: creating effective and sustaining Rep councils
- ‘Emotional favorite:’ specific strategies and tactics with your Reps to boost sales
- Finding Reps: find, interview, select the best Reps for your team
- Presentations for sales meetings: motivating and fun talks that unite your team
To see more details please visit his website at www.bryanshirley.com.
Robert G. Terwall
Robert G. Terwall was employed by the Cherry Corporation for 31 years and retired in 2005 from the position of president of the Cherry Electrical Products Division with responsibility for profit and loss of the North American business unit. He had served on the senior management team since 1986 and previously held positions in the sales and marketing arena.
Since his retirement, Bob has engaged in consulting work for assorted U.S. and international clients with an emphasis on new business development, strategic planning and operational/profit improvements. His educational background includes a bachelor’s degree in business administration from the University of Wisconsin at Whitewater and a master’s degree in business administration from Northwestern University’s Kellogg Graduate School of Management.
Bob has been active in a number of industry organizations and is the past association president of ERA. He is also a past president of the board of the Electronic Distribution Show (EDS), past chairman of the board of the Kenosha (Wis.) Area Business Alliance and past chairman of the Kenosha YMCA.
General Areas for Reps, Manufacturers and/or Distributors:
- Strategic planning
- Organizational design
- Personnel assessment and/or deployment
- Profitability improvement / turnaround
- Sales force design and optimization – rep, hybrid and/or direct
Specific Initiatives for Reps, Manufacturers and/or Distributors:
- Rep firm merger / acquisition
- Sales compensation plans
- Rep council optimization
- Line interview best practices
- Regional manager evaluation / deployment
- Distribution channel partnership optimization